MREI creates economic value for the region while creating a more reliable and resilient grid. It stabilizes prices through greater energy security and supply diversity, delivers that energy cost-effectively, and creates jobs and new tax revenue to support a healthy economy.
Renewables tend to have predictable, stable prices for the long term.
- More generation diversity mitigates price and supply risk.
- More renewable generation will put downward pressure on regional energy prices.
JOBS AND TAX BENEFITS
The investment in MREI will create thousands of jobs and new tax revenue for the region.
LOW COST OPTION
MREI optimizes existing utility systems and rights-of-way.
- It provides a net benefit for the region when including both transmission and energy costs.
- Regional energy markets will benefit from wholesale cost savings.
- The investment by southern New England in a stronger grid has tangible benefits for Maine.